2020 Showtime Speedway Sportsman Rules
*Speedway Officials shall be empowered to permit minor deviations from any of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that in his/her opinion does not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. No expressed or implied warranty of safety shall result from such altercation of specifications.
*Speedway reserves the right to update, modify, and/or delete rules at any time deemed necessary to insure safety, fair competition or any other reason that may be appropriate.
*PLEASE BE SURE YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE GENERAL RULES, SAFETY RULES AND DRIVER SAFETY EQUIPMENT BEFORE CONTINUING.
*The word STOCK used within this set of rules means as originally produced by the manufacturer for that make/model/year of car with no altering or modifications. Stock replacement parts ok. Must be same dimensions, weight, and/or volume as OEM part. Determination of whether an aftermarket part is legal will be the tech inspector’s decision.
*NO CARBON FIBER OR TITANIUM PERMITTED ANYWHERE ON CAR. NO BUMP STOPS, COIL BINDING, BUMP SPRINGS OR CHASSIS LIMITERS. NO TRACTION CONTROL DEVICE(S) OF ANY KIND.
- Must be American made rear wheel drive passenger cars or station wagons only.
- Minimum wheel base 104 inches. Maximum tread width 68” center tire to center tire. (66” using Referee)
- If Transponders are used they must be mounted 24” behind rear axle on right rear frame rail.
- 2800 lbs. min with 56% max, left side.The only exception is you are allowed to use the 604 crate engine oil pan (Recommended option)or 7” inexpensive steel oil pan (Retail $150.00 or Less) and receive weight break.
- No heavy metals for ballast. Lead only painted white, car number with ½ bolts minimum. No tungsten. No titanium allowed anywhere on car
- In the event a visiting competitor comes to race, the tech inspector will have the right to add weight to make more competitive with our rules.
- Stock steel bodies, after market fiberglass or aluminum bodies or fabricated bodies, Subject to tech approval. Roof height 46” minimum, 36 ½ maximum quarter height, 48” front overhang with maximum of 3 ½” splitter and 47” rear overhang.
- Bumpers shall not have sharp edges or open ends. Steel bumpers front, rear and door bars are mandatory. ONLY EXCEPTION IS YOU ARE ALLOWED AN ALUMINUM I-BEAM STYLE REAR BUMPER must be cut at a minimum of 30 degree angle with the
front side (closest to fuel cell) being longer than rear side. No wider than 60 inches and must be centered on the car. Stock or fabricated firewall and floor pan allowed.
- Minimum ground clearance 4 inches, body, frame and side skirts at all times. Plastic wear tabs are allowed to extend below 4 inches, no other exceptions. Ride height minimum 4” Body, Frame and Lead at all times. No pulling up on car in tech line.
- Only Clear Spoiler 6″x 60″ max centered on car., No forward rutters, No side pods.
- MUST run a Roof (minimum 45” wide x 38” long) and full Lexan windshield 1/2 inch tolerance on roof dimensions.”B” pillars must stop a minimum of 15″ from rear spoiler and must taper from roof line to deck lid. Side window opening must be a minimum 12 inches tall x 22 inches wide with no obstructions. 1 inch tolerance on side window
- No Sideboards, Rutters or Fins on side of body. Exception: All body panels are allowed to have a maximum 1 inch break at bottom, parallel to the ground, must have rounded corners facing inward and outward. No wheel flares allowed past the sidewall of the tire, or rear edge of tire. This will be checked with a straightedge.
- All air used to cool the engine must pass through opening in the nose piece, through a sealed air box and into the radiator. There is no bottom feeding of air, or air boxes without a bottom on them. No tape, or removable air blocking devices will be allowed on nose or nose screen area. The way the car qualifies is the way it MUST start the feature. No panning allowed.
- No types of under-body air deflectors are allowed. All air for blowers or coolers in the
engine compartment must be pulled from the nose or the radiator air box. Air may not
be blown or forced onto the tire or bead. Air may only be directed to the brake rotors.
The duct work between the nose and the radiator may be no wider than 31” and may
not be carbon fiber. No part of air box maybe wider than radiator.
- Maximum deck lid width is 72 inches.
- Spoilers can be a maximum of 6in tall x 72 inches wide. All spoilers must be clear. Must be centered on car regardless of width. May not extend past quarter panels even if the
deck is less than 72 inches wide. Base of spoiler may not extend off rear of deck lid.
- ROLL CAGE:
- Full roll cage mandatory minimum 4 point. Must be 1 3/4″ x .095 inch round steel tubing and must have 4 horizontal bars driver’s side and 3 horizontal bars passenger side. Front and rear loop optional. Minimum fuel cell height 7.
CHASSIS and SUSPENSION:
- OEM front clip no weight penalty or 2 x 4 tube clip must have 25 pounds of existing weight in front of the flywheel and meet following Guidelines: Must use stock lower A-Frames and steering box and Must maintain 3.5” from lower control arm bolts to bottom of cross member equally at all times, can be obtained by welding nuts on the bottom of the cross member and threading bolts into them and adjusting by bolts and washers.Lower mounts must be solid and nonadjustable. Must measure 17” – ¼” tolerance from center bolt to center bolt on front side of lower control arm and 27” – ¼” tolerance and Any tube clip that doesn’t meet these specs will be deemed illegal.
- OEM lower a frame for chassis in stock location. No modifications of any kind other than weld in ball joint sleeve in original position. No roller bearing upper control arms.
- Adjustable one piece sway bar only.
- Any idler arm and pitman arm in stock location. Steel tie rods or heim ends allowed inner and outer. Aluminum adjuster tube allowed.
- Stock steering box in stock location, Rack and pinion allowed with 25 lb penalty in front of the flywheel.
- OEM spindles only, No tubular spindles. No drop spindles. Spindles may not be altered in anyway except drilling for tie rod which must remain stock OEM location and reaming for ball joints which must also remain in stock OWM location. No altering of hub pin or slugs to alter inclination angle. Springs 5-inch diameter minimum, no coil over’s or eliminators on front and (1) 360-degree spring rubber per wheel.
- Steel multi or mono-leaf springs. No composite or fiberglass.
- Rear coils 5 inch diameter minimum. Coil over eliminators allowed on rear with 5” spring and (1) 360-degree spring rubber per wheel.
- No fifth (5th) coil, torque arm or lift bar suspensions will be permitted. No birdcage set-ups of any kind (3 or 4 link). Trailing arms must mount to rear end in a solid fashion (heim allowed) and no part of the trailing arm mounting may freely rotate around the rear end and no center pull. Trailing arm must be mounted a minimum of 2 inches below the bottom of the tube, this is measured from the bottom of the tube to the center of trailing arm bolt) All parts of 4 Link must be solid, one-piece construction with no moving parts, with one heim at each end. Trailing arms, third link and track bar mounts must also be solid and may not have the ability to move. (Minimum 21” and maximum 30” trailing arm length iscenter of heim to center of heim both mounted in forward direction and no more than 6” difference in length between the left and right trailing arm).
- STEEL Non-adjustable with aluminum heim allowed. No adjustable shafts or canisters permitted. If you have Schrader valves on your shock you must add 25 pounds. Shocks must be mounted within 35 degree of perfectly vertical.
- Shock claim rule of $125.00 per shock, competitor or series may claim one to all four shocks.
- Absolutely no bump-stops, coil binding, or chassis stops of any type and will be checked by putting front tires on ½” blocks and nose on the ground.
- Front springs to be 5” x 9.5” minimum height to a maximum 5.5” x 12”. Must be a pig tail style spring maintaining the same diameter from top to bottom. No progressive or digressive spring rates allowed. Retail cost of spring to be no more than $119.99. No coil-binding allowed. Only one 360 degree spring rubber allowed per spring. No helix or spring spacers allowed.
- Rear springs to be 5” x 8” minimum height to a maximum of 5” x 13”. Same diameter from top to bottom. No progressive or digressive spring rates allowed. Retail cost of spring to be no more than $119.99. No coil-binding. One 360 degree spring rubber allowed per spring. No helix or spring spacers allowed. BRAKES:
- Aftermarket pedals and master cylinders and only one brake bias adjuster.
- OEM appearing single piston calipers only. Max retail value of $139.99
- Four wheel working brakes mandatory. Proportioning valves ok as long as they are out of cock pit and out of reach of driver Rotor must be steel.No titanium or other materials allowed.
- DRIVE TRAIN:
- Rear end: Stock or 9 inch floater, must be locked or use a spool. Axles must maintain a minimum diameter of 1.200 inches with a tolerance of -.010. Purchase price not t exceed advertised pricing of $150 and must be available for any competitor to purchase at that price. No titanium or “wrap-up’ axles allowed.
- 5 on 5 quick change with spool and steel tubes only. No cambered snouts. No light weight Spur gears. No wide 5.
- Multiple disc clutches with steel floaters and aluminum pressure plates permitted, minimum 7 1/4 ” in diameter. Clutches must be positive engagement design. Slider or slipper clutch designs are not permitted. No carbon fiber clutches. Clutches found not to meet this definition will be deemed illegal.
- Stock OEM 3 or 4 speed transmissions only. (2 forward 1 reverse) No polished, light weight gears or straight cut gears. (Richmond case ok) No reverse mount bell housings and starters.
- Steel driveshaft only painted white and a minimum diameter of 2” with 2 straps 1/8” x 2” minimum.
WHEEL AND TIRES:
- Steel racing wheels not to exceed 8 inches wide. 5/8” studs and 1-inch lug nuts mandatory.
- Track approved tires Hoosier F70 only. No soaking or altering of tire in any manor allowed. Drivers soaking or altering tires will forfeit all purse and points for the event and all track points for the year. Driver must also pay a $1,000 fine prior to being allowed to compete at Speedway. Any illegal tire, in the judgment of Speedway Officials, will be confiscated.
- No bleeders of any kind.
- VP Spec Fuel and Track approved fuel only. This will be the only fuel permitted to be used and must be unaltered. Fuel samples may be taken at any time and tested. Alcohol, nitro-methane, nitrous oxide, other oxygenating agents, or other additives are not permitted. Use of such substances or additives will result in immediate D.Q.
- Fuel cell mandatory, 22 gallon maximum capacity.
- No electric fuel pumps.
- OBERG Fuel Valve # SV-0828 or SRI # FFF-FSV Mandatory.
- Unaltered Sealed 602 crates with GM or Series seals.The only exception is you are allowed to use the 604 crate engine oil pan (Recommended option) or 7” inexpensive steel oil pan (Retail $150.00 or Less) Unaltered Holly 650 HP 4150-80541 four-barrel. with 1” aluminum spacer. Absolutely No Alterations!!!!!
- Body of carburetor – no polishing, grinding, or drilling of holes permitted. No paint, epoxy or any other type of coating other than from carburetor manufacturer allowed inside or outside of carburetor.
Any attempt to pull outside air other than down through venturis is not permitted.
4. A minimum of two return springs is required. Throttle stops recommended.
- Unsealed 602 crates will have a 75lbs weight penalty. Subject to normal tech and must meet 602 guidelines 100%. This is the only motor option.
- Engine Location:
1. Forward most spark plug must be set back no further than upper ball joint ½” tolerance.2. Engine height 4 1/4" from center of crankshaft to center of lower control arm bolts that
must be in stock location3. Engine offset maximum of two inches to centerline of front lower control arm bolts.
Ignition system/ Cooling/ Air cleaner/ Headers:1. FAST Ignition part # 6000-6701 only as produced from FAST and mounted on the right
side, out of reach of driver with dials pointed out the passenger side on the original
plate. The mag positive & negative shall be a maximum length of 62 inches. Must
remain uncut or spliced and on top of dash in clear view, 6200 chip for crates. Rev
limiter must face passenger side window
2. HEI ignition with a MSD soft touch rev limiter (not inside distributor with a 6200chip for
crates. Mounted on right side out of reach of driver. Rev limiter must face passenger
3. Maximum of one, 12 volt battery per car. Alternators ok. $299.99 max retail value on
battery. No Lithium Polymer or Lithium Ion
4. Radiator cap not to exceed 31psi
5. All air to carburetor must pass through a minimum of 14″x3″ air cleaner and must be
naturally forced from windshield or outside of hood. No ramm air, electrically pushed
air, or alike allowed.
6. Series approved headers must have an advertised retail purchase price not to exceed
$749 and must be available for all competitors to purchase at the price. Coating and/or
painting ok as long as base price of headers does not exceed $749.
1. The Chief Tech Inspector shall be authorized to make changes from any specification
contained in these rules as a situation may dictate. Furthermore, the Chief Tech
Inspector may impose further restrictions in an attempt to maintain fairness. Under no
circumstances may the Tech Inspector alter any safety rule to less than stipulated.
2. ANY VARIANCE OF THESE RULES BY PARTICPANT THAT MAY ULTIMATELY LEAD TO A
REDUCTION IN SAFETY, OR AN INCREASED RISK, TO ANY PARTICIPANT, SHALL BE
EXCLUSIVE RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY OF PARTY OR PARTIES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
VARIANCE. THE MANAGEMENT OF THE SPEEDWAY AND THE PROMOTERS SHALL NOT
BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR RULES AS PROVIDED.
3. OFFICIALS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CONFISCATE THE PARTS.
1. Only drivers or team representative may protest. Protesting drivers and protested cars
must have qualified and started the race. All protests must receive an approval of the pit
officials. Spite or unsportsmanlike protests will not be accepted.
2. All protests must be submitted to pit officials in writing within 10 minutes of feature
race completion, and be accompanied by required amount of cash shown below. All
protest fees must be paid in cash.
3. P&G, Carburetor inspection $75
4. Whistler check $150 track/series retain $50
5. Top End tear down$800, track/ series retains $150
6. Scope of the crank area $150, track/series retains $50
7. Complete engine tear down $1000, track/series retain $250
8. Driver can only protest three times in one season and must wait three race weeks
before protesting again.
9. Drivers or cars found illegal forfeits all points and moneys earned for the entire race
10. Refusal to comply with protest or to tear down when instructed by Speedway officials
will result in a fine equal to protest amount, an automatic two race suspension and loss
of points and moneys earned for the evening. Upon returning to competition driver
must agree to tear down after racing events for free.
CRATE MOTORS ONLY WITH A COMPETITOR PURCHSASE PROGRAM IN PLACE AS FOLLOWS:
1. . AS LONG AS YOU HAD A CAR THAT QUALIFIED AND STARTED
THE RACE YOU MAY PURCHASE A COMPETITORS MOTOR, YOU
MUST HAVE A CLAIM SHEET FILLED OUT AND TURNED IN WITHIN
10 MINUTES OF TECH STARTING AND CASH IN HAND OF THE
SERIES TECH OFFICIAL IN THE AMOUNT OF $ 4000.00 AND YOU
WILL RECEIVE THE MOTOR YOU ARE CLAIMING EXACTLY AS IT
COMES FROM GENERAL MOTORS, NO ACCESSORIES, CARB ETC.
***OIL PANS WILL STAY ON MOTOR REGARDLESS OF STOCK OR 7
2. IF THE PERSON YOU ARE CLAIMING REFUSES SALE HE WILL BE
DISQUALIFIED FOR THE NIGHT WITH ALL LOSS OF POINTS AND
MONEYS AND WILL BE SUSPENDED FOR THE NEXT SERIES RACE,
3. IF THROUGHOUT THE YEAR THE SAME PERSON IS CLAIMED AGAIN
AND REFUSES SALE HE WILL BE ON A 5 RACE SUSPENSION
4. IF THE PERSON GETTING CLAIMED IN TURN WANTS TO SELL HIS
ENGINE BUT THEN WANTS TO PURCHASE THE CLAIMEES ENGINE
HE CAN DO SO AND HIS COST TO DO SO IS $ 3695.00 THEREFORE
HE WOULD ONLY ACCEPT $305.00 OF THE MONEY, HE DOESN’T
HAVE TO HAVE $ 3695.00 IN HIS HAND AS HE WASN’T EXPECTING
TO HAVE TO DO THIS
5. IF THE CLAIMEE REFUSES TO SELL HIS ENGINE FOR THE $ 3695.00
ALL TRANSACTIONS ARE OFF AND NOW THE CLAIMEE IS DQED
AND IS SUSPENDED FOR 1 RACE ETCSAFETY:
See Super Late Rules
- The Chief Tech Inspector shall be authorized to make changes from any specification contained in these rules as a situation may dictate. Furthermore, the Chief Tech Inspector may impose further restrictions in an attempt to maintain fairness. Under no circumstances may the Tech Inspector alter any safety rule to less than stipulated.
- ANY VARIANCE OF THESE RULES BY PARTICPANT THAT MAY ULTIMATELY LEAD TO A REDUCTION IN SAFETY, OR AN INCREASED RISK, TO ANY PARTICIPANT, SHALL BE EXCLUSIVE RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY OF PARTY OR PARTIES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE VARIANCE. THE MANAGEMENT OF THE SPEEDWAY AND THE PROMOTERS SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR RULES AS PROVIDED.
- OFFICIALS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CONFISCATE THE PARTS.
- Only drivers may protest. Protesting drivers and protested cars must have finished in the top ten and be on the lead lap. All protests must receive an approval of the pit officials. Spite protests and unsportsmanlike-like protests will not be accepted.
- All protests must be submitted to pit officials in writing within 10 minutes of feature race completion, and be accompanied by $250.00 CASH. The driver who wins the protest will receive $225.00. All engine protest fees must be paid in cash. P&G, Carburetor inspection $75, Whistler check $150 Track/Series retains $50; Top end tear down $800, Track/Series retains $150. Scope check of the crank area $150 Track/Series retains $50. Complete Motor Tear down $1,000, Track/Series retains $250.
- Driver can only protest three times in one season and must wait three weeks before protesting again.
- Drivers or cars found illegal forfeits all points and moneys earned for the entire race meet.
- Refusal to comply with protest or to tear down when instructed by Speedway officials will result in a fine equal to protest amount, an automatic two race suspension and loss of points and moneys earned for the evening. Upon returning to competition driver must agree to tear down after racing events for free